1) Papa John’s was created in 1983 by John Schnatter. When it was first created he didn’t have any space to set up the business, so he used a broom closet in the back of his father’s pub to make the pizzas
2) Mr. Schnatter didn’t have the money to buy the pizza equipment when he started Papa John’s, so he sold his prized 1972 Camaro for $2,800
3) In 2009, Mr. Schnatter found the Camaro he sold when he started his business and bought it back for $250,000. The Camaro is still seen in current advertisements for Papa John’s
4) Peyton Manning (Denver Broncos) owns 21 Papa John’s locations, and has publicly stated the legalization of marijuana in Colorado has helped his pizza business
5) Mr. Schnatter has a net worth estimated at $600 million which includes a 40,000 square foot mansion in Kentucky
6) Investors in Papa John’s have done well. In the past 10 years shares of Papa John’s (“PZZA”) have increased by 630%.
7) In 2008 a Papa John’s franchise made t-shirts poking fun of Lebron James. Head office issued a formal apology to Cleveland residents and offered large one-topping pizzas for $0.23 (Lebron’s jersey number) to make up for it. The apology was accepted – almost 200,000 pizzas were sold for $0.23 each.
8) In India, Papa John’s offers a pizza called a “spring fling” consisting of corn, mushrooms, onions and olives. Extra toppings can be added to any pizza but beef is not available and chicken sausage is substituted for Italian sausage.
9) Other international offerings: tuna pizza (Egypt), duck pizza (China), tomato soup (Turkey), pork belly rice (China) and seafood cake mix (China)